This building was constructed for Coca-Cola in 1936 and was designed by a well-known southeastern architect, Francis Palmer Smith. Located at 1625 North Palafox Street, this building is on the edge of the historic North Hill neighborhood. The original footprint is 3 stories with a suite of offices and the bottling floor on the ground level. The second floor contains additional offices that were used for accounting and marketing, as well as the classroom space, men's and women's locker rooms, and a kitchen.
The third floor, marked on original architectural drawings as the 'gymnasium', is a beautiful sunroom that opens onto a rooftop terrace. Additional warehouse space was built in 1958 to expand the bottling floor, and a third warehouse space was constructed later to assist with increased truck traffic and provide more storage space. The 2.15-acre lot also has buildings that were formerly garages and workshop spaces. These structures no longer have a roof, active electrical, or water but we feel that they are still worth preserving and utilizing for arts and education programming.
You can read more about the history of the building by checking out our blog here.